Saturday 4 June 2016

Happy June: Three YA Releases to Look Out For

Happy June, all you fabulous readers out there in the blogosphere! It's been far too long since I did a discussion type post, so I thought I would celebrate June by talking about my three most anticipated book releases for the month. It's a drizzly and bleak winter down here in Australia, meaning it is the perfect time to read - but hopefully you Northern Hemisphereans have time in your busy summer schedules to read a few brilliant new releases.

I have chosen three books from three different genres, so hopefully you can see a book that catches your fancy. I look forward to reviewing these books as they are released. Happy reading!


"The Head of Medusa" (Elementals #3) by Michelle Madow
Release date: June 29th, 2016
Goodreads
 
Madow brings a unique flair to Greek mythology in her Elementals series. Honestly, I do not think I have read another author with such a talent for fast-paced, action-packed urban fantasy. I managed to finish the first two Elementals novels in only a few hours each - and having just received an ARC for "The Head of Medusa", I am sure it will be inhaled in a similar manner. The ending of "The Blood of The Hydra" left me with many questions about what will happen to our beloved Elementals next, and that's why I have "The Head of Medusa" at the top of my June list.

I would recommend this book to... people who like fast-paced novels that go from action scene to action scene very quickly. People who like true Greek mythology, but with some unique twists. People who want a novel with multiple interesting characters, not just a story about a protagonist and her love interest.


"And I Darken" (The Conquerors Saga #1) by Kiersten White
Release date: June 28th, 2016
Goodreads
 

It is no secret that I adore the historical fiction genre. Rich, lux backdrops with some of the most sublime writing possible? Sign me up. Combining historical fiction and high fantasy is a recipe for brilliance with the right writer, and if White's previous novels give us any indication, she is more than up to the job. With ARCs out there in the blogosphere, White's novel has received almost universally positive reviews. But, honestly, who would not adore a vengeance story about ousted royals that has been described as "dark" (which, incidentally, is one of my favourite words to read on a book cover)?

I would recommend this book to... people who like novels that combine historical accuracy with complex fantasy elements. People who like a bit of anti-hero in their protagonist. People who want a female lead who is not constantly described as being as beautiful as a runway model.


"Autofocus" by Lauren Gibaldi
Release date: June 14th, 2016
Goodreads
 
I have never read a book by Lauren Gibaldi, but she has a lot of diehard fans that make me think it is time to read one of her novels! Contemporary is a genre that I often struggle with, but after reading Gabriella's review, I was convinced to give this book a try. "Autofocus" surrounds an adopted girl's journey to discover her past in order to create her destiny, a plot line I think we can all relate to in some way - whether we were adopted or not.

I would recommend this book to... people who like stories with accurate depictions of the struggles and triumphs of friendships. People who like stories that do not have an obvious destination; stories that are more about the journey. People who like relatable and sympathetic protagonists.

Do you all agree? What's on your most anticipated June release list?

Love as ever,
Grace Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment