Monday 23 November 2015

"Fairest" (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5) by Marissa Meyer

Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)Fairest by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I will admit it - I am a huge fan of Queen Levana. In the way one is a huge fan of Lord Voldemort or Scar because they just make for such entertaining fiction. Levana was a fascinating character in the first three books of this series, and that was before we knew too much about her. Reading her backstory is truly illuminating.

Fairest reveals a lot about Levana to us: why she hates mirrors so much, how Queen Channary was not the beloved monarch we were led to believe, and why she keeps Winter around even though she clearly dislikes her. We begin to understand her history, her motivations and her desires.

In fact... part of me feels bad for the evil Queen. She did a lot of terrible things, don't get me wrong, but those terrible things almost come from a good place... in a roundabout way.

Overall, this book is a brilliant bridge to Winter. It teaches us more about the villain of The Lunar Chronicles, making us uniquely equipped to understand the possible direction and end of the series... Though part of me still wishes Levana was redeemable!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment